Tuesday, July 26, 2011

We can change so much, but not change at all...

Hi Friends,

We have been busy lately at the Earls household. Our home has been buzzing with friends old and new and I realized this week that I relish in their company. I love having people visit and stay in this beautiful rental home God has blessed us with. It fills my heart with joy to cook comfort foods (mostly Kiki recipes), bake naughty sweets (that are filled with chocolate), drink familiar coffee (hazelnut was our college flavor of choice), and wake up to friendly faces of the past.

This week my roommates from college stayed with me. Their sweet faces, their silly stories, their unique intricacies, their perfume, their laughter....it all takes me back to my days at Liberty University. Days I loved and desperately miss. Its amazing how we can change so much, but not change at all:) I'm pretty sure I'm still as wild and mildly inappropriate as I've always been. Amber still bounces around with her mischievous laugh and is as loyal as any friend could be. Niki is still sweet and grounded (which was always good in 118B and is still good now), and Kirsten is forever joyful and creative....and totally silly and I love that! Here's a picture of all of us above (left to right): Amber (and Levi), Me (and Bells), Niki (and part of Gabe's head), and Kirsten (and her child/dog Millington)...

118B Watergate FOREVER (P.S. that was our townhouse number in college).

Oh, and we threw a little party for my friend Sarah this last weekend as well! It was her 30th and she wanted a "90's House Party"...she deserved a good bash so I was pumped. I also couldn't have been more excited about my chance to be transformed into Jessie Spano from Saved by the Bell! Oh yes, I did the reenactment with the caffeine pills (for questions about such reenactment click here...it will all make sense and you will be slightly concerned about my sanity)!






On a completely different note... (my mind is in a constant state of wandering friends...it's scary, ask Josh).

This excerpt below was taken from a book called, "The Special Child" and it reminds me of God's unfailing love. He makes all things work together for his purpose. He equips us daily with the tools we need to live life here on earth, and for that I am thankful...

Read and be blessed and challenged as I was...

In Mark 8:34 Jesus says, “If anyone wants to be my follower, he must deny himself, shoulder his cross and follow me.” Christ’s words were addressed not only to the people of his time, but also to us today: each of us who desires to follow him must be willing to carry the burden laid on us by God. Because the cross each person carries is different, we sometimes tend to look at others and compare our lot with theirs. When envy makes us dissatisfied with ourselves, we look at others and think, for instance, “He (or she) is so athletic” — or articulate, or musical, or easy-going — and we begin to wonder whether the person we envy has any cross at all to bear.

Every man, woman, and child has his or her own burden to carry. Even the Apostle Paul had a “thorn in his flesh.” He asked God to remove it, but God answered him, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness” (2 Cor. 12:8). If we accept the grace God gives us, we will be able to bear the heaviest cross. And, strange as it may seem, it can even become a blessing.

The discovery that a newborn child is disabled can be a deeply shaking ex­perience for any couple. Unfortunately it is common for some, in their shock, to assume that they have done something wrong. I would advise parents to give no room to such thoughts. Rather, turn to God and seek to see the situ­ation as from his eyes — as a blessing that can lead you closer to each other and to God. He comes close to us through every child, but especially through children with disabilities.

....end of excerpt.

Not sure why you clicked on the blog today but, I urge you (as I urge myself) in all situations to not envy others. We can envy and not even know it. I know you understand what I mean...it's a sneaky sin that manifests itself in some of life's bests moments... marriages, child birth, new homes, successful children, successful spouses, church, work....the list goes on...

I battle this too often with Bella. I'm not sure if I would call it envy, more like a feeling of loss on her behalf. Loss in the sense that she is not "perfect" in the world's sense of the word. God is good and constantly reminds me that in his eyes she has a heavenly perfection. These reminders give me peace. Then I feel so blessed that God chose ME for HER. I feel special...I am thankful for my girl and her differences.

Annie


1 comment:

  1. I had to smile when I just read your thought about not envying others, as I struggle with it from time to time in regards to wanting to have a child. I appreciate your thoughts. I have been reading your blog off and on for a few months now, as my husband was inquiring about being a navy chaplain, so I tried to find as much information as I could about all that entails, and came across your blog. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete