Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Josh's Yellow Ribbon Extravaganza



An old Swedish hymn says,

"He whose heart is kind beyond all measure,
Gives unto each day what he deems best—
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest"

I am thankful for pain and pleasure. People, I am not making this up. Do I love that my child was diagnosed with autism? No! But, I love my child and I love that God is in control. He has never steered me wrong, and I believe he is faithful to do the same for my daughter. I was telling a girlfriend the other day (who was saying how positive she thought I was all of the time), that the amount of time I spend in the bathroom crying is almost comical. Yes, the bathroom. I think we can all agree it's the most quiet & peaceful place one can go to be alone (well, unless I've eaten cheese). Ok, why do I always end up using "potty talk"... back to what I was saying.... the bathroom is the place I go to talk to God--which usually results in tears. It's amazing though how God, in his perfect merciful way, gives me rest and blessings in abundance after "toilet tears" --- oh gosh, I just made that up... I'm good!

Moving on from from toilets...





...lets talk about pleasure!

It was Josh's birthday yesterday and I planned a huge surprise for him this last weekend. My wonderful parents (and sister Candace) packed up and drove down to Virginia for the weekend. Their visit was such a blessing to us. I have especially missed my family after living with them for so long this summer. Part of this quick visit involved watching Bella for the night so I could sweep Josh away to Lynchburg VA (our college home town). I got all of Josh's favorite college buds to come and we surprised him at our favorite restaurant Isabella's (www.isabellasitalian.com). I love that place (I worked there in college and Josh worked for their sister restaurant Meriwether's)! This celebration was, of course, for his 29th birthday but also a "Welcome Home From Deployment" of sorts! I made yellow ribbons for everyone to wear, planned a few toasts for him, and then we celebrated all night (and by all night, I mean like 12---come on people, we are old). My husband deserved this get-together. I know he especially missed some of his greatest "guy" friends (or boyfriends as I call them). I truly wish we could've invited EVERY person who prayed for us, thought of us, or loved on us through this deployment:(

Thanks to all our family and friends who took part in this weekend. I cannot tell you how much we love you all. We have never felt so loved --- to the core of our hearts --- than we have recently. Even little Bella feels it!

Speaking of Bella, here's an update:
-She is using a fork and spoon and eating very well right now.
-She said "mommy" the other day (not to me) but was mimicking the TV. I cannot wait until she says it to me;) This is a start though.
-She has started crying when we (Josh or I) leave the room. This is s positive change!
-Her appointments with ABA and Early Learning went well, we really like the people who will be coming in home to work with her. We will probably have someone in the house working with "us" 3-4 days a week.
-Gluten/Casein/Soy Free eating is still a work in progress. We are doing well though. I've seen some positive changes. Still waiting to fully cut everything out and then document from there.
-She's had more "good days" than bad this week. Praise God!
-She seems to want more attention from us, we cannot complain.






No comments:

Post a Comment